Cycling in winter can be as easy and safe as it is in the summer months. Transport for London's cycling website has been updated to help you get the most out of cycling in London this winter.
The updated site has useful information about safety equipment, cycle maintenance, clothing and accessories. Registration for training sessions is also available, if you wish to gain confidence riding in the dark.
Some useful tips include:
- Invest in a lightweight waterproof jacket and non-slip gloves - they'll keep you warm and dry in rain, sleet or snow
- Consider mudguards, waterproof trousers and shoe covers as more water can come up off a wet road than down from the sky
- Wear breathable layers that you can take off and put on as the weather changes
- Regularly clean and oil your bike chain to keep your bike running smoothly and remember to check your brakes and tyres
- Carry a spare inner tube, pump and tyre levers (in case you have a puncture) and make sure you know how to use them
Or why not try a cycle training session in the evening so you can get used to riding in the dark?
See more at www.tfl.gov.uk/cycling